blank image1 blank image 2


flag usa To the ENGLISH website
flag nl Naar NEDERLANDSE website
contact Contact me


I am looking for similarities
in all individual cases of
Histiocytic diseases.
I wonder if we all tell our
stories we might come up
with some commonality
between the specific
situations in which all of
our pets got this disease.
So please email me the
details and I'll put your
pets story on Shelley's
Histio Website


Ik ben op zoek naar
overeenkomsten in alle
individuele gevallen van
Ik hoop dat wanneer wij
onze Histio verhalen
vertellen, wij overeen-
komsten ontdekken over
de manier waarop onze
huisdieren deze ziekte
hebben opgelopen.
Stuur mij de details en
ik zal het verhaal van uw
huisdier op de Histio
website van Shelley zetten.

flag usa WARNING !

These stories are all
different. Individual
symptoms, situations
and circumstances
may vary and response to
therapy is not always the
- Disclaimer -


Deze verhalen zijn allemaal
verschillend. Individuele
symptomen, situaties en
omstandigheden kunnen
verschillen en de reactie
op therapie is niet altijd
- Disclaimer -

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Valid CSS!


German - Hund
Maligner Histiozytose
French - Chien
l'Histiocytose Maligne
Italian - Canis
Maligni Histiocytosis
Spanish - Perros
Histiocitosis Maligna
Dutch - Hond
Maligne Histiocytose


usa flag To ENGLISH website
nl flag Naar NEDERLANDSE website
contact Contact me


Histiocytic Sarcoma

January 5, 1999 to February 16, 2010


Story told by Vesper Akers.

I lost my precious boy to this horrible disease. He was a 11 year old Rottweiler who meant the world to me. I would like to share my story as your web site helped me. I read others posts and helped me know what to expect. He only made it 4 short weeks from the time of his splenectomy.

justiceHe had been only periodically eating for a week. I thought he had a tooth problem that I couldn't see. I took him to the vets on January 18th. They said his spleen felt swollen and had me come back the following day for x-rays. On January 19th they did the ultrasound and told me that his spleen was enlarged and that they thought his liver had tumors. They scheduled an emergency splenectomy for the following day.

On Januaruy 20th his spleen was removed. The surgeon told me that his liver was loaded with tumors that there were so many and so small that he couldn't remove them. The surgeon called in some favors and got the biopsy results back quickly. On January 22, I got the news, histiocytic sarcoma. Average survival rate 3 weeks without chemo, 6 months best case with chemo, and only 50% of dogs respond to chemo.

On January 30th he saw the oncologist. I left with a heavy heart. I decided to try the chemo, 3 CCNU pills along with predisone. The first 2 days were horrible, he barely ate and I thought I was going to have to say goodbye. He wouldn't eat any kibble or his favorite biscuits. My vet recommended a holistic vet. I was up for anything!

On February 3rd he met the holistic vet and received acupuncture for the first time. He was prescribed a bunch of Chinese herbs and was given a grain free diet. I was told to stay away from chicken which surprised me. My Justice seemed to have turned into a vegetarian. He was loving baby carrots and the holistic vet told me that they were full of sugar and to try grain free can food.

Justice started eating, never very much though. I had to literally spoon feed him to get him to eat, but his attitude improved. He used to be 115 lbs and he whittled down to 100. He was excited to go for short walks and car rides. He actually improved so much that I thought we may beat this. He had acupuncture once a week up to February 8th. He stopped eating again on February justice9th. He wouldn't eat canned food at all. I tried the old goto food, deli meats and he would turn his nose. I tried chicken, turkey, even his beloved carrots, all nothing. On February 15th I noticed he wasn't himself. He seemed tired. He was scheduled for more chemo in 5 days. On February 16th I knew something was wrong. It was a beautiful snowy day out. Justice always loved the snow and we hadn't had much snow for the year yet. I asked him to go for a ride to the park, he hung his head and walked to the door. Not his typical excited, running me over to get to the door move. Once we got to the park I wanted to take his picture in front of a snow covered tree. Within 3 minutes of being outside he was shaking uncontrollably. He wouldn't look at me, his eyes looked dull and flat.

I immediately took him home. He was still shaking. I put a blanket on him and rubbed him. Nothing was helping. He wouldn't look in my eyes or respond to anything. I called the oncologist, they said take him to my vet for an exam. The oncologist was 3 hours away. I took him to my vet and he perked up when we first got there, an adrenline rush, the vet said. While we were there, he got worse. The vet told me that his eyes worried her. He looked so far away and still was shaking. She said he probably couldn't control the pain anymore and that she could give him medicine to help the pain but she didn't think he would last more then a day or two. I knew he was suffering. I put his head in my lap and stroked his face as the vet gave him a tranquilizer and then the lethal dose. He died almost instantly, he just let go.

I know I did the right thing. He was a fighter and just couldn't fight cancer anymore. He was my best friend. Everyone that met him, loved him. He was kind and gentle. Smart and affectionate. I will love him and miss him forever. Your post about the tranquilizer helped me. I didnt know that was an option. I asked my vet to do that for Justice so he would go peacefully and she did. Im so grateful for that. Thank you for your web site.


Be sure to seek the advice of your veterinarian about any question you may have
regarding your pet's health and behavior.
No diagnosis can be done without a veterinarian actually seeing and examining the patient.